Monday, April 21, 2008

A Learning Process: Stir Fry

My first post is already in shambles. I have no photos to show for my brilliant "So Sweet, Yet Hot Orangey Stir-Fry". Yep. I made a stir fry to inaugurate this blog the proper way. Stir Fry was taken from the latin Stirfryus; to fry while stirring. Basically, I thought I would start out simple and build from there. Not to say that this dish tasted simple, by any means. I just wanted something that I knew would be successful and near fool-proof. And it was... until I ate it before I got a picture of it. At least I know how to amp up my post for the next go-round.

On to the goods. "So Sweet, Yet Hot Orangey Stir-Fry"

My inspiration for this meal was the plethora of veggies in my fridge. I had a couple beautiful sweet red peppers, a zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, and onions. I even decided to try out the canned bamboo shoots that had been sitting in my pantry for quite some time. Basically, you can cook these things together and add some seasoning, and you've got yourself a meal. I decided to kick it up a notch by making a different sauce.

So Sweet, Yet Hot Orangey Stir Fry Sauce
Juice of 1 orange
4 T. Honey (personal preference)
2 Crushed red pepper flakes packets left over from last week's pizza order
1 T. Vegetarian vegetable bouillon ("Better than Bouillon" brand)
3 T. Soy sauce
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 c. Diced onion
Lots of Black pepper
Cooking Spray

Stir Fry
1 pkg. Extra firm tofu cut into cubes
1/2 c. Diced onion
Whatever other veggies catch your eye and look fresh

Start with a hot wok and a couple squirts of the cooking spray to saute the onion and garlic. Then add the rest of the ingredients in no particular order. I would recommend stirring the vegetable bouillon a lot to make sure that the clumps go away. Heat for about 3 minutes on medium to make sure the flavors have a chance to make each other's acquaintance. Place the sauce in a dish and set to the side.

With the residue of sauce still left in the wok, turn up the heat to high and brown the tofu. Add veggies next. I usually start with the hardest ones first and let those get going before I add things like squash or zucchini (ie; broccoli before the bamboo shoots). That way you make sure that everything has a chance to get tender. Once the veggies look like they are near ready, go ahead and stir in the sauce. Once mixed, you are finished!

Et voila! A magnificent dish... especially served over brown rice and eaten with chop sticks.

No comments: